Re: Dead Vaxstation?

On 15.03.2016 11:50, Matt Dainty wrote:
* Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> [2016-03-15 06:16:12]:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 06:09:24 -0400
Matt Dainty <matt%bodgit-n-scarper.com@localhost> wrote:

I came to power on my Vaxstation 4000/90, S3 switch is up which I believe
is correct for using a serial terminal however I get nothing displayed.

The power LED lights up, I can hear the fans humming, the hard disk spins up
and the eight diagnostic LEDs are all lit but don't ever change, even when I
press the halt button. I know the serial terminal is good as it works on my
DEC 3000/600.

Anything I can try? I figure the Dallas DS1287 timekeeper chip probably has
a dead battery by now but that wouldn't stop the machine powering up
would it?

That's what I figured too, but it actually does prevent it from POSTing.
My 4000/90 also appeared completely dead until I bodged a fresh lithium
cell into the RTC, after which it came back to life.

That's good to know, I won't junk the Vaxstation just yet then. I think
my DEC 3000/600 has the same problem as it's forgetting settings across
cold boots but will at least boot to the SRM albeit with an NVR fault so
I think I've got two DS1287's to fix up or replace.

I notice you can get DS12887's which are the replacement part. Aside from
the problem that these still contain the timebomb of an embedded battery,
do they work?

I've done a similar fix for the timekeeper chip on Sun Sparcstations in
the past where it's actually preferred to fix the existing chip with a
replacement battery as the newer chips have slightly different
characteristics and prevent the machine booting automatically.

Matt

Even an empty or missing DS1287 timekeeper shouln't prevent it from POST. If the memory isn't configured properly the 4000/90 doesn't do anything. The physical location of the memory banks is interleaved/mirrored, so if you only have 4 modules of the same size and type there will be emtpy slots in between. If you have two sets of different sizes, then the 4Mb modules must go into bank 0:

From the manual p. 6-23:
When installing four 4-MB memory modules and four 16-MB
memory modules, the 4-MB memory modules must be installed in
memory locations 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D.

Check your memory configuration and the slot labels on the mainboard.

For the DS1287: I used a file (rasp?) to open the plasic casing where the contacts are, cut the metal and soldered short wires to them. They are attached to a coin cell which is sitting next to the IC. Be careful when ordering original DS1287s online: some of them are indeed 'new' but 15 years old.
(When did the DS1287 go out of production?)

Lo