support for FPU-less VAX?

Is it already possible to run NetBSD on a VAX without hardware FPU? At
least single-user or ...?
Is soft-float by the compiler an option, or do I need full FP
emulation via exceptions?

Let's suppose I had something like a CVAX (78034 only), but no
optional CFPA connected. Apart from the FP instructions, I read that
the CFPA "accelerates" also DIVL, MULL and EMUL... So would these
instructions raise an exception or are they executed by the 78034, but
in a slower variant?

Regards,
Felix