request for source control advice

Any advice on how to handle source control when working on a local
kernel project? I have been working on a kernel driver and haven't
come up with a good way to use CVS and coordinate it with -current
updates.

I don't know if there is a way to use CVS on my local copy of the
kernel sources and still have it able to be updated. I have been using
tar to make snapshots and manually moving different versions of
certain directories. It is all very awkward.