Re: Serial console on VAXen

On 2015-01-22 00:40, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 01/21/2015 04:33 PM, John Klos wrote:
Just a dumb thought... but if you enter VT100 (with capitalization) at
the
prompt does that work?

Nah...

Terminal type? [unknown] VT100
tset: terminal type VT100 is unknown

Same thing with other terminal types:

Terminal type? vt52
Terminal type is vt52.
tcsh: No entry for terminal type "unknown"
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

   This is just a shot in the dark, but is the filesystem where the
terminal type database is located mounted at the time of the tset call?

Yes. This happens on a fully up and running syste It's been this way for years. I never came around to investigate it. Note that tcsh thinks the terminal type is "unknown", no matter what you type. The information essentially do not survive to the next "stage".

Also, note that in the case of "VT100", tset complained about it being an unknown type, while "vt52" (or "vt100") makes tset happy. But the information is still lost before getting to tcsh.

	Johnny