Re: Native gcc on netbsd-7

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 1:39 PM, Björn Johannesson <rherdware%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

>> I can reliably trigger it by trying to build tcsh from pkgsrc.
> Right now I can't even get to the start of building packages.
> Btw, is it known if gcc >4.9 exhibits the same behaviour?
> Right now it's either HAVE_GCC=45 or investigate pcc.
>
> Those that follow port-sh3 saw that I was chasing an ICE with that
> yesterday. The post includes a test case. (Should this have gone to tech-toolchain too?)
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sh3/2015/01/05/msg000123.html
> Not the same fault of course.
> ISTR gcc on super-h has never been reliable with -O2 or higher. -O1 and
> -Os was fine though.

There are lots of ways for the platform dependent back end code to cause compiler ICE, and of course wrong-code generation issues.  If it’s in the FSF code as opposed to NetBSD local mods, it would be good to get those logged in the GCC bug tracker.  And of course development of fixes is likely to be valuable, especially for the more obscure targets that don’t get as much GCC maintainer energy.

I wonder how many issues the GCC test suite when run on one of those ports would turn up.

	paul