Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

Well, the issue from our point of view is that a lot of what we care about
testing is extremely low-level hardware behavior, like whether spinlocks
work as expected across processors.  It's not clear that a simulator would
provide a sufficiently accurate emulation.

OTOH, the really nasty issues like cache coherency rules don't arise in
single-processor systems.  So unless you have a multiprocessor VAX
available to spin up, a simulator may tell us as much as we'd learn
anyway.

(If you have got one, maybe some cash could be found --- we do have
project funds available, and I think they'd be well spent on testing
purposes.  I don't make those decisions though.)

Depending on how often you'd like the system to try to run a compile, I'd be happy to run it on a VAXstation 4000/60. It runs bulk package builds for pkgsrc, but we could do a compile every week or so (every day would really eat into cycles for other packages).

John