Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

Hi,

Has anyone tried to build PostgreSQL for VAX lately? If so, did it compile? Did you have to use --disable-spinlocks to get it to compile? If it did compile, can you actually run it, and does it pass the regression tests and work as expected? Would you be willing to work with the PostgreSQL to ensure continuing support for this platform, or does that seem not worthwhile for whatever reason?

I've compiled postgresql93-client and postgresql93-server from pkgsrc on a VAX running NetBSD 6.1.4. The initial launch didn't like the default stack limit:

/etc/rc.d/pgsql start
Initializing PostgreSQL databases.
LOG:  invalid value for parameter "max_stack_depth": 100
DETAIL:  "max_stack_depth" must not exceed 0kB.
HINT: Increase the platform's stack depth limit via "ulimit -s" or local equivalent.
FATAL:  failed to initialize max_stack_depth to 100
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"
pg_ctl: database system initialization failed

I unlimited and tried again. The pgsql process showed it was using 146 megabytes of memory while initializing, then got as far as:

/etc/rc.d/pgsql start
Initializing PostgreSQL databases.

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option -A, or
--auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.
Starting pgsql.

Then the machine paniced. The serial console showed:

panic: usrptmap space leakage
cpu0: Begin traceback...
panic: usrptmap space leakage
Stack traceback :
         Process is executing in user space.
cpu0: End traceback...

dump to dev 9,1 not possible

It does compile and initialize, so the VAX code does work. However, considering how much memory it uses, I wonder how many people would actually use it. I did run Apache / MySQL / PHP on a VAXstation 4000/60 not long ago, but MySQL takes way too much memory, too. Don't even get me started on how memory PHP uses - someone has to write some good weblog software in C one of these days...

John