Re: Running makemandb on every boot

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 02:16:29PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> SparcStation LX (50 MHz sparc v8), slow scsi disk, 96 MB ram:
>      2145.91 real      1856.68 user        92.47 sys

I rebooted that machine (to have clean caches) and ran the below script
on it (which is about as fast as makemandb could get to notice "I have
nothing to do"). The result is:

       30.49 real         5.21 user        23.23 sys

So an easy way to speed up makemandb would be: defer all the sqlite
initialization untill we find a file that is newer than the output database.
After sqlite has been initialized, it might still be usefull to check against
the original timestamp before querying, comparing and updating.

This still leaves the sqlite performance on sparc as an open issue - will
check that.

Martin

--8<--
#! /bin/sh