Re: Running makemandb on every boot

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:31:21AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>> Given that makemandb is run nightly and weekly by cron anyway, it would
>> probably be best for those systems to not have makemandb run on boot.
>
> Sounds like a good idea - however, doesn't work well for notebooks that
> you do not have running over night.

It sounds like there are two bugs lurking:

  doing something at boot every time is being used as a substitute for
  scheduling it to be donce once

  we have a notion of nightly cron jobs, and there is concern that these
  don't happen on notebooks that are not on then

So rather than make running this on boot configurable, it seems better
to perhaps schedule it with some sort of "run this once" faciltiy,
perhaps at(1).  Or to chroot and run it at install tiome - why does this
need deferring?

Then, there's the issue of the nightly scripts; perhaps cron should run
them when the machine is first functional if the system has been up.  Of
course people will object to that, too, but it seems either we need to
reduce what gets done or figure out a pleasing background way to do it.