Re: Anyone fancy porting libffi to VAX?

On 23 May 2012 00:28, Dave McGuire <mcguire%neurotica.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 02:50 PM, David Brownlee wrote:
[... Call for someone to hack on vax support for libffi ...]

>  I think this is a great idea, but I don't think I can work on it.  I
> have a few balls in the air at the moment.
>
>> Alternatively if anyone knows of another location where potential
>> VAX code hackers hang out...
>
>  I'd mention it on the classiccmp list; there are quite a few VAXinated
> people there.

Thanks, I'll definitely post across there.

>  It's good to see the VAX port getting some lovin' nowadays.  It needs
> to be kept alive one way or another.  I have most of my small VAXen at
> my new place in PA now, and I hope to bring up NetBSD on one of them
> within the next week or so.  It helps to feed the soul. :)

Since the netbsd-6 branch reverted to gcc-4.1 my 4000/90 has been
much happier.

I was chatting with someone interested in Linux/vax and offered
him an account, he asked about irssi which is how I found out that
libffi was not supported by vax.

From my perspective VAX has similar characteristics to an unusual
embedded system, (just built using steam pipes & valves), so should
be able to run the same basic apps, tools, and even graphical apps.

Actually, if you have time could you test the latest intall boot
& kernel from http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-6/
on a selection of VAXen and email the dmesg back to the list - you
don't need to install onto disk, just test boot :)