Re: Anyone fancy porting libffi to VAX?

On 05/22/2012 02:50 PM, David Brownlee wrote:
> | The libffi library provides a portable, high level programming
> | interface to various calling conventions. This allows a programmer to
> | call any function specified by a call interface description at run
> | time.
>
> Its available for:
> alpha, arm, avr32, cris, fr-v, ia64, m32r, m68k, mips, pa, powerpc,
> s390, sh, sh64, sparc & x86.
>
> VAX is notablably absent from the list :/
>
> For reference the m68k support runs to somewhat over 500 lines:
>
>     278 src/m68k/ffi.c
>      49 src/m68k/ffitarget.h
>     234 src/m68k/sysv.S
>
> Various software packages including glib2 default to depending on
> libffi.  Obviously the dependency can be disabled, omitting that
> functionality, but in case someone fancied a bit of VAX hacking I
> thought I'd mention it on this list :)

  I think this is a great idea, but I don't think I can work on it.  I
have a few balls in the air at the moment.

> Alternatively if anyone knows of another location where potential
> VAX code hackers hang out...

  I'd mention it on the classiccmp list; there are quite a few VAXinated
people there.

  It's good to see the VAX port getting some lovin' nowadays.  It needs
to be kept alive one way or another.  I have most of my small VAXen at
my new place in PA now, and I hope to bring up NetBSD on one of them
within the next week or so.  It helps to feed the soul. :)

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA