Re: VAXstation 4000/90 - ssh & display oddities

abs%absd.org@localhost wrote:
> I've just been playing with NetBSD-5.1.2 on a 4000/90 and
>
> The first issue is that the display blanks when the kernel loads.
> I have it hooked up to a dell TFT (its a little odd to see the slightly wavy
> background faithfully reproduced on a non CRT, but I digress).
> The PROM prompt displays fine, as does the NetBSD boot program, but
> as soon as the kernel loads the screen goes blank (when I say blank I
> can still see the same wavy background, so its still getting a signal).
>
> dmesg is below.
>
> Are there any special requirements for the spx under NetBSD which are
> stricter than the boot prompt?

IIRC the SPX driver was the reverse engineered by Blaz Antonic and subsequently
ported to OpenBSD. I believe that the OpenBSD version has since had some
improvements made to it, and that these haven't been brought back into NetBSD.
It would be great if someone could look into this, event though I can no longer
test as my SPX equipped Vax went to a new home several years ago :-(

Chris