Re: VAX station 4000 boot disk

On 2012-02-15 22:10, Martin Husemann wrote:
Ok, so the hard disk is not broken - I found another and get the same symptoms.
Also, after netbooting the machine I can fsck and access the hard disk just
fine. I just can't boot from it :-(

It does an endless stream of:

   83 BOOT SYS

-DKA0
   83 BOOT SYS

-DKA0
   83 BOOT SYS

-DKA0
   83 BOOT SYS

and all 8 leds below the front panel are flashing simultaneously (all on --
all off -- all on -- ... with ca. 1 Hz).

Any ideas?

Broken/bad boot block? Or no secondary boot (/boot) on the disk? I would definitely start by trying to rewrite the boot block (see installboot and disklabel), and check that I have a correct boot image in the root.

        Johnny