Re: UNS: Compiling vax kernel with pcc

On 07/28/2011 02:49 PM, Brad Parker wrote:
No fancy addressing modes are implemented yet, so the kernel became unneccessary large,
about 20% bigger than a gcc compiled kernel.  This will be added later.
If this is something mere mortals can reproduce? If so, I'd enjoy trying it out.
Yep, no problem. Just fetch the current source, see http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/downloads/ for details.

If you are running on a vax just compile the kernel with CC=pcc, if you're cross-compiling
then you need to fix the cross-build environment in some way.

I regularly boot netbsd/vax for 11/7xx using the simh simulator. It's easy to set up. Once it
works I copy my image to a scsi disk and boot on a real live 11/730.

My assumption (perhaps incorrect) is that once pcc is up to speed it might well generate better
code for the vax than gcc does, with less cpu and memory.
Well, I wouldn't be sure of that, but there are a bunch of optimizations that still can be
added to pcc for vax.

-- Ragge