Re: UNS: Compiling vax kernel with pcc

Anders Magnusson wrote:
Hi,

I have resurrected the vax target from the dead and just compiled a NetBSD/vax kernel with pcc. Haven't tried to boot it yet though, will do that when I have setup a vax to boot on .-)
yea!
No fancy addressing modes are implemented yet, so the kernel became unneccessary large,
about 20% bigger than a gcc compiled kernel.  This will be added later.
If this is something mere mortals can reproduce? If so, I'd enjoy trying it out.

I regularly boot netbsd/vax for 11/7xx using the simh simulator. It's easy to set up. Once it
works I copy my image to a scsi disk and boot on a real live 11/730.

My assumption (perhaps incorrect) is that once pcc is up to speed it might well generate better
code for the vax than gcc does, with less cpu and memory.

-brad