Re: CAS?

> [...], or if it might be worth some work to rewrite these to as far
> as possible use VAX primitive instructions for the needs instead.

Offhand, I would guess that whoever did it looked for a few things like
compare-and-store, ll/sc, test-and-set, thought the VAX didn't have any
of them, and went the slow route, not discovering things like BBCCI and
INSQHI.  The VAX isn't _quite_ old enough to lack such things entirely,
but it _is_ old enough to have preliminary forms of them rather than
the forms more recent processors have settled on. :-)

But, since I'm not that whoever, I don't really know.  I may be
maligning someone unjustly with that suspicion.

\ / Ribbon Campaign