CAS?

I was looking a bit at the VAX code now, since performance seems to have dropped seriously lately, and I noticed that mutex, lock, and possibly other operations to handle locking out of threads, interrupts, and multiprocessors are implemented via a software implementation of CAS on the VAX. This can hardly be efficient, and I wonder if there is any specific reason for this, or if it might be worth some work to rewrite these to as far as possible use VAX primitive instructions for the needs instead.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Opinions? Maybe someone who was involved in the current implementation can share some thoughts on why it was done the current way? Maybe I'm missing something?

        Johnny