Re: 5.0RC2 and negative runtime

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, tponsford wrote:

WARNING: negative runtime; monotonic clock has gone backwards

it then went away, but appeared again on the Vax4000-60. The TOY clocks checked out OK and it appears not to have affected anything..so far, but is it a bug, bad hardware?

I think this is due to a bug in the timecounter changes to the vax. I believe the interval count register only counts from -10000 to 0, but the timecounter configuration has the counter_mask set up to use all 32 bits. This has been changed in -current, but apparently I did not request a pullup for the netbsd-5 branch.

I think the 4000-60 uses a different counter register, so I'm not sure why you would see it there.

In addition, changing the counter_mask to mask the appropriate bits appears to make the interval count register no longer valid for timecounters, so it actually is not used. I haven't figured out if there's any way around this yet.

Also it appears that there was no Xserver,ie., no Xorg,Xdec,or Xwhatever binary in the Xserver set. I was hoping to try the SPX driver on the graphic framebuffer, but it was MIA. Does the X/SPX driver need to be compiled out of the Xorg pkgs?

I don't believe the vax has ever built an X server. I've done some changes to the XdecNetBSD server to recognize the lcg driver Blaze Atonic did, and may have modified it for the spx driver. The 4000-90 has problems when using the graphics console (it fails to configure the dz device and thus has no keyboard or mouse). I used to have things running on the 4000-vlc, but I don't know if it still works or not. The last time I tried to get my 4000-90 to work with the graphics console, I couldn't get it to configure the devices correctly.

I also got the dreaded chicken and egg problem when trying to compile a package out of pkgsrc. I get the "Circular dependency detected" as it searches for gcc-2.95, but gcc-4.1.3 is installed. I thought 4.1.3 was generating good vax code, but do I need to install 2.95.? This is from the latest version of pkgsrc (03-2009)

There are some packages that won't work with newer versions of gcc and require specific versions of gcc. It looks like there are actually quite a few of them, wanting 2.95 2.95.3, 3.0, 3.0.5, or 3.4. I wouldn't know how well any of these would do on the vax.

I understand that 5.0 is self-hosting now. While I wasn't going to rebuild the whole system, It would be good if it could. I don't really want to start cross-compiling unless it's necessary, or the package is too big.

5.0 should be mostly self-hosting. There's a problem with a couple of tools that will cause the build to fail. The failure leaves a partial file, which will allow the build to continue until the next failure. After several restarts of the build, it should eventually complete.

I've not tried very many packages, so I don't know how well 5.0 will do when building packages.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant