Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

* Patrick Finnegan <pat%computer-refuge.org@localhost> [2008-06-08 00:56:01]:
> On Saturday 07 June 2008, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
> > I found out that MOP is rather picky when it comes to the networking
> > devices it'll play with. I kept getting ?4B CTRLERR errors with the
> > two computers connected with a Kensington hub. It also did not like
> > the Cisco Catalyst 2900 - which makes sense, this is a switch, and
> > MOP isn't TCP/IP. Then, I swapped in an old, reliable BayStack hub.
> > This seems to work fine. I now get MOP requests on the screen when
> > running mopd -d eth0.
>
> Actually, a switch should work fine.  It's a layer 2 device, not a layer
> 3 device (like a router).  You may have spanning tree set up on the
> ports, which may cause problems (as it'll take 30 seconds of link
> before the switch passes packets through that port).  I've never had
> any problem with switches or hubs passing MOP packets.

Yes, I've booted my VS4000/90 over MOP through a Cisco 2900XL switch, I
either had "portfast" enabled on the ports or I'd tuned the spanning
tree for my network so the switch didn't wait as long before putting the
port into forwarding mode.

Matt
--
"I never deal with the common man. The common man has no spirituality.
The common man thinks that Ganesha is Dennis the Menace's dog."