Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

On Jun 8, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
Well, I got it to work. I was still struggleing with getting the Vax to mount the NFS share, and I had turned on the monitor for my Linux PC, and was trying to mount the NFS share there to test. That must have been just enough extra load on the circuit, because about a minute later, I was sitting in the dark listening to the whine of disks spinning down. After I reset the breaker, and powered things back up - it worked! Maybe re-running exportfs -ra wasn't enough and it needed to restart the daemon, or something, but after that, it worked.

The Vax netbooted from the Sun, got an IP address, mounted the NFS share, loaded the kernel, and started the installer. The menus were all garbled and unreadable - because I was using a TeleVideo terminal, but it worked. I swapped the terminal for a VT100 and installed NetBSD 4.0 on an RA90. I can now boot NetBSD directly from disk, and it seems to work.

Most excellent, congrats! I had dusted off a VLC to try to duplicate your configuration, but you beat me to it by getting it working. ;)

The same thing (power-wise) happened to me last week. I was working on the PDP-11/70 and I decided to see if the circuit would support the TE16 in addition to the CPU and memory box...I should've known better.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL