Re: NetBSD/vax lives again!

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 07:52:03PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 08:43:43 -0800, Matt Thomas
> <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
> > With my latest commit, NetBSD/vax seems to survive to getting to
> > multiuser.
> > As part of the changes it that NetBSD/vax fully supports the new
> > world order
> > and does fast soft interrupts (which most ports don't support yet).
>
> With basically no NetBSD background, can I now build a full
> installation somehow? A 4.0 on VAX is running, or I'd install a ia32
> version and cross-compile from there?
>
> MfG, JBG

You can very easily build a full installation from anything *NIX. I have
recently built the full VAX installation from my Linux laptop.

Once you have the source tree, cd to src and use build.sh

My commands were:

./build.sh -m vax -T ../tools/vax -U -u tools

and then

./build.sh -m vax -T ../tools/vax -U -u release

I think you can do it all at once but that is how I did.

You will get xtools in the tools directory and everytning needed for an
installation:

$ ls releasedir/vax/binary/sets/
BSDSUM  CKSUM  MD5  SHA512  SYSVSUM  base.tgz  comp.tgz  etc.tgz
games.tgz  kern-GENERIC.MP.tgz  kern-GENERIC.tgz  man.tgz  misc.tgz
tests.tgz  text.tgz

$ ls releasedir/vax/binary/kernel/
BSDSUM  CKSUM  MD5  SHA512  SYSVSUM  netbsd-GENERIC.MP.gz
netbsd-GENERIC.gz

$ ls releasedir/vax/installation/
bootfs/  miniroot/  netboot/

--