Re: Installing -current

Matt Thomas skrev:

On Feb 20, 2008, at 4:31 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Jan-Benedict Glaw skrev:
On Tue, 2008-02-19 10:27:10 +0100, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
Jan-Benedict Glaw skrev:
I'm failing to compile some of the more interesting packages with
NetBSD-4.0 .  It seems -current should come along with the PIC-fixed
compiler and shared libs enabled. How do I install that on a naked
SIMH VAX? I tried to find some binaries, but it seems all the snapshot
and daily directories don't contain any VAX packages?
No, -current have shared libs and PIC fixed compiler, but it is also a broken compiler, along with a broken system.
Do you know what's actually broken?

Nope. I've tried looking at gcc a few times, but I just don't have the time or resources to get a grasp of the thing. But Matt fixed gcc 4.1.2. But 20070621 we imported gcc 4.1.3, and Matt's fixes got lost again, and we haven't had thing working since.

btw, I can do a clean release build on my amd64.  So I haven't run into the
gcc bug yet.

Ok. I don't remember what error I got, but it appears to have gone away now with a fresh checkout. I'll keep trying and crossing my fingers. :-)

On top of that, we also have the idlelwp changes, which came 20070518, which broke the kernel as such, on the VAX. Not fixed yet, either.

Maybe.

I'll test it, if I get a -current up and running. The problems don't show up that much until you start paging a lot. So you need to keep the system up for a while, and do things on it. My usual test case is trying to run build.sh native. :-)

So there are no builds of -current for VAX, and haven't been for over six months...
To draw the line: There's no way installing a "current" VAX?

Correct.

It appears that Matt might be working on something right now. He have commited some stuff in the last few days. I actually managed to build a kernel right now, if not a GENERIC one. But it don't boot. But I think (hope) that something will happen with that soon. So keep your eyes open.

How did it fail?

The problem you just commited a fix for in pmap.c, I think.
Testing again in a few seconds...

        Johnny