Subject: Re: x-server and security.tgz for NetBSD 1.5
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/11/2000 18:19:26
> > >I've not paid a whole lot of attention lately.  I knew with 1.4.x we could
> > >get the Xserver to compile and run on the monochrome VAXstations (albeit
> > >buggily).  And then I thought I'd heard whispers of people getting mouse
> > >and keyboard support working.  Is this the case, and it's just not ready
> > >for 1.5?
> >
> > The include files for are not in 1.5.  And the right solution is make
> > Xwscons which uses wsmouse/wskdb/wsdisplay for the dumb displays.
> > However, that won't happen right now.
> >
> Should I read this as meaning you're actively working on getting Xwscons
> to work on the VAX port? :-)  I would agree that this is the right
> approach.  Just wondering how much work is involved with it.

Hi.  In:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2000/10/03/0004.html

I presented some patches I made to add wskbd and wsmouse support to
the kernel and Xmono, for the VS3100.  I think Ragge has looked at
them, so I imagine they'll go in eventually, and they're still at the
URLs mentioned in the email.

I run X this way on my 3100/m30, and except for the occasional panic
on server exit (which I understand people have seen before), everything
seems to work fine.

For some reason, though, the mouse doesn't work on either of the two
3100/m38 machines I have.  Can anyone think of any reasons why?  The
dz should work exactly the same way, right?

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
fredette@aquery.com, fredette@mit.edu, fredette@theory.lcs.mit.edu