Subject: Re: initial VS3100 wscons and X support
To: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/05/2000 08:44:35
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Matthew Fredette wrote:

> It's funny how things come in bunches.  One day after Emil Oeberg's
> announcement of wscons and X support for the VS3100, in
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2000/10/02/0000.html , I got
> my stuff working too.  It feels great to finally be able to use
> that mouse for something!

	Absolutely wonderful news!

> - More often than not, I get a panic when the X server exits.
>   Haven't gotten one at any other time.  I haven't tried to track this
>   down yet.

	I think with the 1.4 'X without mouse or keyboard' sets it also
	tended to panic when the X server exited (you may want to confirm
	this :).

> - As the filename suggests, the kernel patch is against the syssrc.tgz
>   that Chuck McManis provided with his 1.5ALPHA 20000801 snapshot.
>   See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2000/08/15/0002.html .
>
> - I didn't try to build a GENERIC kernel, although I provide a patch
>   for its configuration file.  I don't know if these changes will hurt
>   other VAXen.
>
> - The old lkc driver won't compile with these patches.  This
>   shouldn't matter, since you want to use the new driver anyways.
>
> - Don't forget to mknod /dev/wskbd0 and /dev/wsmouse0, with
>   major numbers 69 and 70, respectively.

	Could you add these to MAKEDEV?

> - The xsrc patch is against sources with the netbsd-1-4-RELEASE tag.
>   Not super current, but I happened to have them on CD.
>
> - I made many of my changes by copying entire files from other
>   places, then modifying them.  For example, the dzkbd and dzms
>   drivers started out as copies of the zskbd and zsms drivers,
>   and the Xserver hw/netbsd/vax support started out as the
>   hw/netbsd/macppc files.  I preserved all copyright notices.

	It would be wonderful if we could get these into the main tree :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --