Port-sun3 archive

Edlabel error 'ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Invalid Argument'

Hello! Attempting to install NetBSD 9.0 on a Sun 3/80 (Sun3x) running a SCSI2SD setup. When attempting to partition the disk, I can't get past the 'write' command in 'edlabel'. Each time I get a

ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Invalid argument

error message. I have tried with 2 different SD cards, and multiple different SCSI2SD settings. I can currently boot off a SunOS 4 install on target 0 of the SCSI2SD so I know the setup works, but not sure why it fails with NetBSD. I setup target 1 with a size of 1.9GB (trying to stay under 2GB to not cause any weird errors) and I can see the disk by doing 'edlabel /dev/rsd1c' correctly. I set a swap partition of size 16MB (32000 blocks) and set the root partition as the remainder of blocks. I tried setting one before the other and multiple combinations but nothing worked. I also tried a setup with a fresh SD card, and a single SCSI target for just NetBSD at a size of 1.9GB but that also didn't work, I still received the same error.

I've seen that NetBSD might be breaking because the default chosen by the SCSI2SD tool uses 255 heads/cylinder? Is there any way to change this or a workaround?

Before going with the SCSI2SD setup I had the original 200MB hard drive in here and was able to partition and boot off the swap partition as in the install instructions without any error from edlabel, so it must be a SCSI2SD issue. Any ideas?

Austin