Port-sun3 archive

Re: Booting Sun3/50 Diskless from Serving PC

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, David Johnson wrote:

I moved all of my various individual exports directories as they were shown in the NFS Diskless Boot Howto to /export/root as you suggested in your email:
    *WAS                                                           IS*
/export/sun350/root                                     /export/sun350/root
/export/sun350/swap  (is an 8Mbyte file)  -->  /export/sun350/root/swap
/export/sun350/usr /export/sun350/root/usr /export/sun350/home /export/sun350/root/home

My etc/exports now looks like this:
#/etc/export
/ -maproot:root:wheel -alldirs sun350.grid.net <---- this works without complaint from mountd

        Now you have your exports like that you should also be able to
        mount home and usr as separate filesystems if you want (though
        personally I would leave them as they are)

I can boot diskless to single user mode but I'm still having trouble getting swap to work. Your comment about /export being a separate file system on my server raises questions. I simply did a mkdir /export to create this tree on my server. But what I'm ending up with is completely different from what the NFS diskless Howto shows for setup. I'm wondering what happened in my case and why am I ending up so different from the HOWTO description?

        I suspect part of it could be related to additional checks
        that NetBSD added a while back to prevent multiple NFS
        exports of the same base filesystem, so /etc/exports configs
        that used to work no longer do.

        The diskless howto definitely needs some updating.

        For the swap file can you try:
        - move the swap file to /export/sun350/swap
        - create a directory /export/sun350/root/swap
        - Try the following in fstab on the client
          server:/export/sun350/swap none swap sw,nfsmntpt=/swap

        (According to the swapctl manpage that *should* work).