Re: Xorg startup with serial console

Hello,

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:58:50 +0200
Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> At least the Linux people say it is no problem to use a any PCI card
> supported by the kernel once it is loaded.
> I don't know how different NetBSD is in this regard.

Depends on the driver. And I doubt this claim holds up on non-x86.
Either way, pretty much anything ATI needs firmware help since things
like clocks can vary and can't be probed. We may be able to cold boot a
few special cases ( maybe permedia 2, but then again, the only reason
to use one would be that Sun sold cards at some point, which do come
with the right firmware )

> For now i will be getting a Sun PCI graphics card and a Sun USB card
> in the hope that those will be acceptable to OBP on a T1000.
> Both will be mounted using a PCIe-to-2xPCI splitter.

There is no such thing as a 'Sun USB card'. We can cold boot those (
there's an uhci/ehci living in my U60 - just because it's uhci ), but
on non-x86 ohci is far more common, and more likely to have firmware
support. IIRC all Suns with onboard USB have ohci and maybe ehci.
That said, are you sure the T1000 doesn't have onboard USB? Both my
v120 and v210 do, and they're older.
The cards that Sun shipped with Blade 2500 workstations were bog
standard ohci/ehci/firewire cards, with no firmware ROMs. OF would only
see keyboards plugged into the onboard ohci.

have fun
Michael