Re: Xorg startup with serial console

Hi Connor!

> On a standard boot with an attached keyboard, i can start the Xserver
> and it says it uses a console like this:
>
> [   550.602] (--) Using wscons driver on /dev/ttyE1 in pcvt
> compatibility mode (version 3.32)
> [   550.602] (--) using VT number 2
>
> But when i do the boot via a serial connection without an attached
> keyboard, i can not start the Xserver.
> The error is that it would be missing a console driver:
>
> [  1043.586] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: No console driver found
>         Supported drivers: pccons (with X support), pcvt, wscons
>         Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries(EE)

If I remember correctly, the OBP will not initialize the console at all
if no keyboard is detected.  So the OS cannot see the console in the
device tree, which is why you get this message.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"