Re: NetBSD installation woes on Sun Blade 100

Sorry - I've bene traveling so I haven't had a chance to reply. SSIZE was set to 4 in the kernels I've made (and that I run, too).

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020, Connor McLaughlan wrote:

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 11:59:19 +0200
From: Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost>
To: Volker A. Brandt <vab%bb-c.de@localhost>
Cc: port-sparc64%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: NetBSD installation woes on Sun Blade 100

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 10:54 AM Volker A. Brandt <vab%bb-c.de@localhost> wrote:

Connor McLaughlan writes:
But when i build a new kernel on this machine, i would not have the
necessary patches for SSIZE, right?
So how can i get my machine stable with netbsd?

Do you have another machine (x86 PC, maybe a VM) where you could cross-
compile?  Haven't tried that in many years, but it's still supported.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"

I have set up a qemu-sparc64 to compile the kernel. So i can try
different settings until the kernel eventually becomes stable on this
machine.
A Linux kernel can run and compile for weeks without any problem,
while the NetBSD-Kernel could crash as early as one hour after boot.

I don't have experience what is needed to analyze or debug the cause,
so my plan is to play with different settings of the kernel to see
what happens.

So now i am testing these options:

aceride* at pci? dev ? function ? flags 0x0002 # Acer Lab IDE controllers
cd* at atapibus? drive ? flags 0x0fac # ATAPI CD-ROM drives

But to boot this kernel needs the relevant SSIZE settings/patches
mentioned by John Klos to correctly initialize my mach64-GPU on the
Sun Blade 100.
I figured this applies to param.h in
/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/include, so i doubled the value from 2 to 4:

/* We get stack overflows w/8K stacks in 64-bit mode */
#define SSIZE 4 /* initial stack size in pages */
#else #define SSIZE 4
#endif
#define USPACE (SSIZE*8192)

But i am not sure if this is the correct location and/or value and if
there are more changes needed...

Regards,
Connor