Re: Ultra 10 + Maxtor 40G HDD

[Please don't use paragraph-length lines.]

> If there's only one drive on the IDE cable (and there can be only two
> per cable), the drive should be jumpered as "master" and should
> always be at the end of the cable.

> If there are two drives on the IDE cable, the one on the end of the
> cable should be jumpered "master" and the one "in the middle" should
> be jumpered "slave".

For what it's worth, I've never seen any indication elsewhere that "end
of cable" versus "middle of cable" matters, nor does my (admittedly
limited, and almost entirely peecee) experience give me any reason to
think it does.

Also, many IDE interfaces, especially the more recent ones, are
perfectly happy to run with only a single drive, jumpered slave, on the
cable; they themselves do whatever the master drive originally did.  (I
don't know whether the U10's is among them; my interest in IDE-capable
Suns is only barely more than in peecees - down in the "I might take
'em if they're free" range.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign