Re: Ultra 10 + Maxtor 40G HDD

On Feb 22, 2011, at 10:31 , Adam Hoka wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:40:37 -0800
> Erik Fair <fair%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 17, 2011, at 03:54 , Adam Hoka wrote:
>>
>>> I have an ultra 10, which got to me without a hard drive, so I though I
>>> could install a spare 40g maxtor hdd i had. NetBSD detected it and it
>>> installed fine, but ofw's probe-ide doesnt list it and I cant boot
>>> the installation beacuse of that.
>>>
>>> What's wrong? Is there a fw update for this or any other solution?
>>
>> How is the drive jumpered: master, slave, or cable select?
>
> what would be the correct?

As I understand IDE/PATA:

If there's only one drive on the IDE cable (and there can be only two per
cable), the drive should be jumpered as "master" and should always be at the
end of the cable.

If there are two drives on the IDE cable, the one on the end of the cable
should be jumpered "master" and the one "in the middle" should be jumpered
"slave".

"Cable select" is apparently used when the cable itself has been modified in
some way that's never been entirely clear to me.

NetBSD will, by default, identify the "master" drive first, and the "slave"
drive second, ergo, for the first IDE channel on the typical two-channel (two
cable) IDE controller chip, "master" would be "wd0" and "slave" would be "wd1".
These mappings can be changed by compiling a kernel from a suitably modified
kernel configuration file.

        corrections/amplifications welcome,

        Erik <fair%netbsd.org@localhost>