Re: Netra X1 IDE controller/disk issues

>>> Chris Ross <cross+netbsd%distal.com@localhost> wrote

> > 'been in there forever' is what makes cables go bad, being used or
> > not makes little to no difference.
>
>    Not that it was the highest of anyones suspected causes, but I've
> now pulled 2 other (longer, but previously-known-good) ATA100+ IDE
> cables from another machine, and each yields a working disk with the
> same issue when I attempt to newfs it.

IDE controller in Netra X1 has problem to handle DMA in LBA48-mode [1][2].

So I guess if you limit a partition size to less than 128GB, newfs
will done without errors.

>    So, the next question falls to, is there anything that anyone can
> think to try?  Or is it just a lost cause, and I should assume that
> only one of my disks will run in Ultra-DMA mode?

The comment in GENERIC configuration file is obsolete.  Its means
you may see a data corruption in UDMA mode 4, but UDMA mode 2 is
safe.  Then, its workaround was commited in 2005.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2008/02/14/msg000101.html
[2] http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=daniIDE

-- Takeshi Nakayama