SCSI/RAID cards on a sparc64

Following slightly behind the conversations about disk and network performance, I'm realizing that the disk I/O setup in my quad U-II server is just too low-end.

I have an Ultra E420, with four U-II @ 450 Mhz. Not a very fast machine, but respectable. However, I'm using the two SCSI drive bays for a pair of disks that I'm running RAIDframe on. And, the disk performance is awful.

I have a i386 Dell PE2650, and I have just extracted half a dozen (well, 7) sets of a netbsd-5 build (base, comp, games, man, misc, text, xbase) onto that machine in less than 5 minutes. Where-as the same zcat|pax operations took nearly 30 minutes on my afore-mentioned Ultra-sparc. Some of this is surely processing power, but too much of it IMHO is the raidframe duplication of I/O onto two 40MB/s SCSI disks.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an U-160 card that I can put into my E420, or better-yet a NetBSD-configurable/control-able/ [monitor-able?] RAID card that I could use. There's already a two- disk SCA cage in the machine, so SCSI would be easier from a hardware point of view, but other options could be considered, especially for cost reasons.

  Thanks.

                          - Chris