Re: SUN Ultra 5 HDD compatibility

On port-sparc64, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

>As for SATA, I've got a Silicon Image 3512 that works great in an Ultra =
>60.  The card, unfortunately, doesn't work with my Ultra 5.  Just so you =
>know what to avoid, the card is a Rosewill RC-210.=

From my last experiments, I've come to the conclusion that this is a
PCI 2.0 vs. PCI 2.1 issue.  I have a SATA card that the U5 just "does
not see" but works nicely in an U30.  It's not a sparc specific problem,
a PentiumIII PC of similar age with a 440BX chipset doesn't "see" the
card either.

What I have now is:

satalink0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0
satalink0: Silicon Image SATALink 3114 (rev. 0x02)
satalink0: 33MHz PCI bus
satalink0: bus-master DMA support present
satalink0: using ivec 10 for native-PCI interrupt

this is a no-name card bought from an e-bay vendor in HongKong...

As for brand-name cards, I have been told that the Promise SATA150
series cards *should* work well (pdcsata driver).  No direct experience,
though.  Hard to get...

gert
--
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost   fax: +49-89-35655025
http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

You may be the only person that knows just how special you are.