Re: U5 RAM?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:14:49 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> Superficially, it looks as though it takes 168-pin PC RAM.
It doesn't. "PeeCee RAM" of that vintage is SDRAM.
The U5 / U10 needs EDO-RAM.

> But the pattern of notch positions seems to be unusual
This is by purpose to prevent you from inserting the wrong type of RAM,
causing the magic blue smoke to escape.

> Am I just unlucky, or is U5-compatible RAM rare?
Yes. It is rare. Especially modules > 32 MB. Most of the time it is
easier and cheaper to get a new machine with RAM, then RAM for an
existing machine.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen