Re: mlx on sparc?

Am 28.05.2008 um 02:09 schrieb Andrew Doran:

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 09:44:46PM +0200, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:
Actually, after having built the appropriate kernel, I'm stuck.
mlxctl finds the firmware is too old for most commands, but then i
will have to hunt down someone with appropriate EEPROM programming
gear to get this controller equipped with a new firmware - or someone
with a machine capable of booting dos and having at least one pci
slot...

My memory of this isn't good because it has been a while, but I think that the version 3 firmware implements the commands you want, and I think that it
needs two EEPROMs instead of the one required for the v2 firmware.

Unfortunately both statements are true. Maybed I can find some fitting EEPROM in my junkyard...

To put it differently, I will send the controller to anyone who can
make some use of it and is willing to pay for shipment. If it will be
used for NetBSD development I will take care of shipment costs within
the EU.

An alternative is to put the card into a PC, configure it using the Mylex tools, and then put it back into the sparc machine. If the card is a DEC rebadge, the BIOS component will not be enabled and it will not work in a PC, but that can be fixed with a once-off patch in mlx.c to reenable the BIOS. I don't know where you got it, but chances are it will work in a PC.

I'ts from an alpha which unfortunately isn't anymore. I don't think I will need the BIOS on a sparc, anyhow ;-) I found some volunteer to reflash it, so in case i can source a second EEPROM, development can continue. My only PC-like hardware is a MacBook Pro, which is fine, but doesn't support PCI ;-)

Cheers
        Oskar