Re: genfb not working on E250 with Raptor GFX card

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 04:10:33PM -0500, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> > Unfortunately I can't do that, because I can't get a working NetBSD
> > on the system.
>
> No way to hook up a serial console?

Nope :(

> > If you can tell me how to get the useful information directly from
> > OFW, I'll be happy to type them in manually, though.
>
> No need to, your ten finger copy of genfb's output is all I need.

Good

> >     <key>depth</key>
> >     <integer>0x8</integer>
>
> And here is the problem - the card claims to run in 8bit colour and
> genfb believes it. So, this isn't genfb's fault, it's the firmware
> that's lying.
>
> > Nope, I'm not sure.  Can you get anything useful out of the genfb line
> > above?
>
> You might be able to work around this - just have a look at the words
> defined on the Raptor's node. Several of them should be video modes,
> like r1152x900x76x8.

I'm not very familiar with OFW, but I tried this:
{0} ok dev screen
{0} ok words
selftest        disp-test       close   remove          restore
draw-logo       write           open    install
{0} ok

That's all I see.  I tried the disp-test, but it said everything is ok.
Typing 'install' just hangs the system.  'open' tells me
Unimplemented package interface procedure
'draw-logo' says the following:
<--deferred word not initialized

Interestingly, when I ask for '.properties', I get a line which says
depth                   00 00 00 20

So it looks like it's being reset by NetBSD, or somehow NetBSD is not
getting the data out correctly.

> Change your output-device variable to something
> like screen:r1152x900x76x32 ( pick any suitable mode, the x32 at the
> end is important )

There are no modes in the output.  I tried your example, but that just
resulted in a system that did not give any screen output at all.
Luckily, I could enter OFW blindly and reset the output-device back
to plain 'screen'.

> , reset-all and have a look at the depth property.

Still says 00 00 00 20, but it still reports 0x8 in NetBSD's debug output.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx