Subject: Re: ide controller error
To: systems engineer <ozone@cname.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/12/2004 21:38:47
On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 05:02:12AM -0700, systems engineer wrote:
> i have managed to duplicate this problem verbatim:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2004/09/16/0003.html
>
> on an ultra5 with a promise pdc20269-based card, 80-pin cable, uata133 disk,
> and netbsd 2.0-rc2. so i'm guessing that the card gets initialized at bios
> time on an x86 box, which obviously isn't happening here or on a cobalt.
> has anyone researched this yet?

Yes. Something is initialised on x86, which is not on other boxes (probably
by the BIOS). I did a register dump on x86 and sparc64, and they match.
So the initialisation isn't just writing something to a register, but
may be a sequence of writes in a particular order.
I looked at others open-source drivers, but I didn't find any hint.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>