Subject: mail filter [was Re: psycho patch]
To: Jason Wright <jason@thought.net>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/04/2001 01:00:16
This is off-topic from port-sparc64 list, but I think I should explain
what happens.

> [btw, this is like the third time I've tried to submit this...
> someone filtering mail sent from cvs.openbsd.org -> mail.netbsd.org ?]

Currently, explict approval by mailing list owner is needed to deliver
mails which are sent from openbsd.org domain. So, delivery for such
mails may be delayed few days, but I think such mails will not be
dropped, unless contents of the mail are completely off topic.

The reason that your mail still doesn't get approved is because the
following mail has mostly same content with the undelivered mail.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2001/09/01/0011.html
I have a copy of your mail (which is not delivered), and if you would
like to have delivery of the mail, I'll approve it.
(Please mail to port-sparc64-owner@netbsd.org privately in that case.)

BTW, I only have one (not two) copy of the mail from @openbsd.org.
although I doublely checked. Is it really third time rather than two
time?

P.S.
Notes for newcomers:

I don't know exact reason why this approval is needed (I'm new to
mailing list owner), but I believe that the following well known
history is the reason of this configuration:
1. Some one in openbsd.org domain made a threat that he would send
  mail bomb to public mailing list.
2. FreeBSD project and NetBSD project configured a mail filter to
  block such mails, and demanded a public apology to him.
3. He never made an apology.
c.f.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1996/10/20/0004.html
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/1996/freebsd-hackers/19961020.freebsd-hackers.html