Re: new kernels and disk crash!

Hi,

Georg Brein wrote:
sd1 = SCS ID 3 should be the bottom drive, sd0 = SCSI ID 1 should be the top drive.

just to share the experience. I exchanged the top drive. I found a working one in my spare parts. Before that, I inserted a 10k disk and it would short the PSU so much that nothing would start, no LED, no fans.. just click-click. At another attempt it made the "magic blue smelly smoke" :) Luckily from the disk, not from the vintage SS20.
These attempts are always a shock on older systems.

The SCSI backplane card is held in place by plastic supports, when I removed the disks, most holders desintegrated in parts! One of the disks I had still had the violet sun tray, when I put it in, the snap broke.
Snaps of the top case and violet front part broke long ago!

20 years old plastic is just crap, at least the one used here.

Luckily the original transparent tray was still good (yes, ss20 had transparent, not violet ones). Exchanged... there it goes.

A pity it "brittles down", I always found this a beatuy. Got this machine when i was a student and back then spent some money to get it running. Had motherboard replacement early, then HD enlargement (the original were like 2x 500MB but smaller than a classic 5.25, slimmer and shorter!), CPU upgrade which was impossible to get (dual CPU module... which fried, substituted with 2x I got from Israel). 20 years ago it was a box to try SMP on, they were rare! quite some Open Source development related was done on it.

And now NetBSD struggles with my exchanged CPU modules :) I hope we can fix it.

Riccardo

Riccardo