Re: new kernels and disk crash!

Hi,

Mouse wrote:
But not necessarily totally busted.  "Read retries exhausted" sounds to
me like a (now-)bad sector, not a whole-drive failure.

to me too.. I did run fsck -fy and let it go... it missed lots and lots of sectors, which seemed contiguous. Once mounted, i tried to copy some directories to salvage things, but tar barfed either about in the same area, or in another are... so like "two holes".

Luckily I found a replacement disk in my stuff... but the supply is getting scarce.

I wonder how a disk gets bad sectors when just sitting there, this is a "racked workstation". I thought bad sectors on modern disks were more for disk suffering shocks. For "stationary" application I thought board failures or motor failures were more the thing.

Riccardo