Re: Changing to MP kernel after install

Hi,

vom513 wrote:
I would like to get another CPU for my SS20.  Currently only have 1.  So the install put the standard kernel on.

Looks like if I put another CPU in it - I need to change to the MP kernel ?  Can I just grab the install media, copy the MP kernel over, and reboot ?

I’m usually in the Linux world - where changing your kernel can be a “whole thing”.

Provided that you switch from the same version of the NetBSD kernel just from "GENERIC" to "GENERIC MP" it is easy.

You can overwrite it, but you can also change the openboot parameter to point to th enew filename.

Best, you can "test" the MP kernel for issues by stopping into OBP and bootking a specific filename. E.g. if you have "netbsd" and "netbsd.MP" you can just issue "boot netbsd.MP".

you can then change the OBP setting once you find it stable, you can also rename the file on the hard disk if you wish. But having the old kernel around is always a safety net.

PS: If I would have had more than 1 CPU installed at OS install time - does the NetBSD installer detect this and install the MP kernel automatically ?
I think so, but I don't remember on SPARC,  I leave others reply.

Riccardo