new kernel old issues - 9.2 cannot boot IPC

Hi,

given my success upgrading my SS4, I thought it is time to upgrade the
old IPC.
Since the boot solution ended up using a MO 128MB disk on which I still
have miniroot....  I thought of attaching the unit to the IPC and try.
We "know" that the installation media and the drive are good on a SS4.

However, no luck. A boot attempt yields, after a very long pause when
isuing "boot disk2" (sometimes even a reset)

Booting netbsd
Memory error during DMA transfer.
DMA control register = 2002000 , DMA address = ffe84004
Extra scsi data. Fatal error.Data Access Exception

wow, this is almsot the same error I posted a year ago when trying upgade to 9.0, just a different register content:
Booting netbsd
Memory error during DMA transfer.
DMA control register = 3844d000 , DMA address = ffe84004
Extra scsi data. Fatal error.Data Access Exception

I tried booting the internal disk and it comes up.

I notice that the disk makes horrible recalibration sounds ggrr grrr  click a couple of times, but I see no errors on the console. i wonder if the scsi sriver is not happy or the disk is dying. Eventually, it comes up.

Trusty old 6.1.5 with hacked boot blocks.
Just out of curiosity, inside booted 6.1.5 I did:

meriadoc$ sudo dd if=/dev/rsd1a of=/dev/null bs=4k
^C15088+0 records in
15088+0 records out
61800448 bytes transferred in 281.532 secs (219514 bytes/sec)

which means the drive is good and tke old kernel can read a lot of data from it, sounds a problem in the boot loader?

Riccardo