Re: Sparc IPX fun

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Matt Wallis <mattw%madmonks.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> I wonder if I can get it to upgrade itself :-p pkgin work on NetBSD
>> 4.0? :-)
>
> Probably not, but the normal appraoch is to update the base system
> (kernel/user) and then updated packages, so you can do a manual pkg_add
> -u of pkgin and anything it depends on, and then do pkgin.
>
> Be careful about possible changes in bootblocks.  I do not know if the 4
> boot blocks will boot a 9 kernel.   Definitely you want to boot a more
> modern kernel before installing its corresponding userland.
>
> If you have the ability to netboot a 9 system over NFS, that will help
> you get out of any trouble you end up in.

A 4.x to 9.x upgrade might have problems with scheduler activations that
existed in 4.x but do not at this point.  I know that was a problem when
I did a 4.x to 7.x update.  The base system will be ok if you do all of
userland along with the kernel, but packages might have problems as they
may be linked against the old libraries and schedule activations won't
be present any more.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org