MP support on SS20

Hi everyone. I've been reviving a Sparcstation 10 with an obscure Aries Research Marixx SS20 board (seems to give SS20 functionality in a SS10 form factor). I installed NetBSD 9.1 and everything went well. Thrilled to have this as an option so thank you all that work on this! I'm using a SCSI2SD V6. I have 2 SM61 CPU modules. I wanted to get MP support working so I tried downloading netbsd-GENERIC.MP and copied it to /netbsd - I believe this is what you are supposed to do (?) However, on boot, I now get the error:
"Cannot load netbsd: error=79"

Only thing I've changed is the kernel. I can boot the old kernel as /netbsd.old but I would like to try and get MP working.  I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

   Jesse