Re: Are we the last ones?

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 19:38, Chase Rayfield <cusbrar2%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
> I think my self and Rene Rebe (T2 Linux) are playing with Linux on
> Sparc32 now and then though he only has sun4c and I have basically
> everything sun4c and up ...

I still have a SS 2 at UBC, Vancouver, BC.  Intact except for needing
the clock fixed. Memory: 64 MB on the board and 32 or 64 MB on a SBus
expansion. At some point it might be available for the cost of
collecting it.

> I think the main problem with Linux is getting larger kernels

A2 would work beautifully on many old machines.  Making that happen
requires compiling the system for the hardware.  The compiler,
Flexible Oberon Cross Compiler (FOX), is meant to cross compile (=8~))
but needs work to produce Sparc code. A nice project for an
enthusiast.  The Oberon wikibook is cited in my mail signature in case
anyone is interested.  (Unfortunately my to-do list is way too long
for another project.)

Incidentally, when this message was sent via my usual mail server, it
bounced. With a little luck it will be accepted via gmail.

Regards,                              ... Peter E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon