Re: SPARC packages availability for 9.0 and install report

Le sam. 9 mai 2020 à 12:27, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> a écrit :
> Right... I have 2xSM61 in my SS10 which I just finished upgrading to
> NetBSD 8.2 (at least userland, packages are an issue)

The SS10 will be a bit slower than the SS20, as those modules can run
the system bus at 50 MHz but the SS10 is limited to 40 MHz.
The gory details are tabulated here:
<http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm#super>.

> I looked on eBay... and I can't find anything decent at a decent price!

Define 'decent' :-) I can see single- and even some dual-hypersparc of
mid-range frequency (90-125 MHz), and there's still some SM61.
It all depends where you're located - shipping from the U.S. is
prohibitive to Europe usually, I would assume internally to North
America it's more affordable.
From Israel to Europe is more reasonable, and they still have at least
one broker selling old Sun hardware there.
I see some OK hardware in Japan as well.

But it's mostly in the 50 to 200 $/€ range, you won't see anything
cheaper: it's not worth the handling cost to a professional seller.

> I don't remember if the SS20 maximum is 256 or 512....

512, you can have 8*64 MiB if you don't use the onboard SX video (it
needs a memory slot for the VDIMM).

> You can also have 3CPUs.

My HyperSPARC-based SS20 has 2*90+2*125MHz, works fine in Sol7 :-)
I think at one point I ran with 3 CPU in there (single+dual 125 MHz).

>. I thought you couild run them at different speeds, but apparently not.

Only cached module can run at different speed; see
<http://mbus.sunhelp.org/misc/genconf.htm>.

> Removed the cpu, put in the 50Mhz is compiling since days! yaya!!!

If you're happy with a single SM50 you're a more patient man than I am :-)
I moved from the actual hardware to Qemu, even with a single emulated
core it compiles faster (and it can have 1 GiB of memory).

> packages flow in one after the other and saved as Robert suggested :-P

Do you compile for V8 only or for compatibility with V7 (V7 doesn't
have the integer multiplication...)

> Nice! perhaps we can share packages... I'll update at the end of this
> weekend.

Need to find some place to put those binary packages....

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau