Re: NetBSD 8.0 Installer Boots to White on White Screen on SS 1

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 17:04, Henry Bent <henry.r.bent%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

Yes:
ok probe-scsi
Target 0
  Unit 0   Disk     UNISYS  U1545 ST12550N  280900460958Copyright (c) 1994 Seagate All rights reserved 0000
Target 6
  Unit 0   Removable Read Only device     DEC     RRD42   (C) DEC 1.4a

I made sure to put the root partition in the first 1GB of the disk (it's 128MB) so there shouldn't be any problems there.

As a quick workaround you should be able to boot the cdrom kernel with
-a and then give sd0a as the root filesystem.

This still isn't working.  I get the prompt for what filesystem to boot from, but various combinations of sd(0,0,n)netbsd don't work.  When I boot the installer and drop to a shell, I can mount /dev/sd0a and see that there is a valid kernel named netbsd.  I'm at a loss as to what is going on here

Was that including "boot sd(0,6,3)netbsd -a" - which hopefully would get the prom to boot the kernel from CD and pass the askroot flag to it?

I may give up on this system; the onboard ethernet appears to be dead and I don't have an SBUS ethernet card that this machine will recognize.  I am still willing to do testing for bug fixing though.

Apologies if you've already checked this - does it report an invalid MAC address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF), and if so have you tried setting a new value from the prom: http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/faq_nvram.html

Thanks

David