Re: Using pkgin on NetBSD 8.0

Older versions of the binary package may work. They usually have for me. It may not work to satisfy dependencies for anything else, but if the package is a "leaf" that the chances are good.

Another option is to use an emulator such as QEMU for package building. I used this to build a lot of packages. It has the plus that you can try installing them on the same image and see if they actually work.

I'm told that NetBSD's cross compiling is very well developed, but didn't go this way.

Usually, somebody has built binaries for some of the critical path packages like gcc and perl. These can be pretty hard to build out of the box. Finding even one of these already built can save many hours.

I wish it was easier to contribute binaries, especially for "less traveled" ports. I understand the reasons why, but still..

Fabian Schreyer wrote:
Hello Greg,

what I am trying to do is to run a basic webserver on it. Of course it
is just playing around, but I want to see if I can host a simple
website on such an old machine in a secure manner.

I currently have 72 megs of RAM installed in this machine.

Right now I hope I figure out how to cross compile stuff for this platform.