Re: Using pkgin on NetBSD 8.0

Fabian Schreyer <fabianschreyer%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just installed NetBSD 8.0 for the first time on my SPARCclassic. The
> installer offered me to install pkgin via network, but this seems to
> be unavailabe for 8.0. Also under
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/sparc/ there is no
> directory called 8.0.
>
> Does this just mean that there are no premade binarys for 8.0 yet, or
> do I get something wrong?

It is highly likely that there are no binary packages  yet, and it is
not clear when/if they will appear.

> Should I probably just use 7.0 for now?

It depends.  If you don't want a large amount of packages, and you are
willing to build some yourself, you can do that from pkgsrc sources.

How much RAM do you have?  What are you trying to do?  A SPARCclassic is
so old/small/slow that I am guessing you are running netbsd on it for
run to see if it works, rather than trying to accomplish some real
task.   But without knowing your intent, it's hard to give advice.